Last Updated: 24th May 2018
Welcome to what may be one of the driest and least creative documents on Earth - "Terms and Conditions". But, like all memberships, this is a necessary step to ensuring everyone is on 'the same page' when it comes to the do's and don'ts of membership at The Rattle. Please read this carefully. And remember, we are human too :)
Rattle Membership Terms & Conditions
These terms and conditions are intended to be read by a human. As such, we like to use ordinary language and we have done our utmost to make this as readable as possible.
Section A. In Plain English
- The purpose of our Terms and Conditions (the “Terms”) is to lay out clearly your rights and obligations as a member of The Rattle. These rights and obligations also apply to any guests or visitors you may bring into a Rattle and also apply regardless of what service or product you may be using at any given time.
- The following Terms can easily be summarised in just a few sentences.
- Firstly, we ask you to be a good citizen of The Rattle. We use the phrase "don't be a dick" to mean be a responsible, well mannered, thoughtful, and honest person with the cares and attentions of other members in your mind.
- Secondly, if you break something, it’s your responsibility to fix/replace it.
- Thirdly, The Rattle is a ‘safe space’. This means that on the occasions you help and support someone else, or they help and support you in a similar manner, then there should be no obligation or expectation of compensation, splits, or whatever else implies a future ownership of the outcome of your collaboration. You are of course welcome to do business with another member, and we actively encourage collaboration. And if that collaboration leads to a joint business venture, we are happy for you. But, to be absolutely clear, there is no expectation of formal business being done unless explicitly agreed between you and the other party beforehand. The Rattle is a community deliberately designed to foster trust and support. It is not a sales room.
- And lastly, The Rattle exists to be a place where artists, music entrepreneurs, and technologists can ’carve their own path’ to success without compromising their intent and values. Please keep the spirit of this mission alive.
- We, as The Rattle, also confirm in no uncertain terms - that unless agreed otherwise - we assume absolutely no rights or ownership or equity stake in anything you create.
- We also hereby confirm that all information pertaining to your work, business, or art remains in confidence with The Rattle team, mentors, and advisers. We will never disclose, without your permission, details of your business that cannot already be found in a public forum.
Section B. Our Approach & House Rules
- The Rattle is a membership for music entrepreneurs. There are various classes of membership and each class has various products and services included within them. These classes are known as “Founding Member”, “Community Member”, and “Partner Member”. Being a member often gives you access to The Rattle including the use of its music studios, startup studios, and mentor community. The purpose of this community and the combined facilities is to act as a ‘safe place’ for music entrepreneurs to develop their products, arts, and startups without fear of exploitation.
- Our facilities include:
- Two multi-purpose soundproofed rooms suitable for all forms of music and media creation
- One large sound proofed room and performance space for use in any way a member feel appropriate to their endeavour
- One premier-grade music studio with sound isolation booth
- One startup studio containing a mixture of hot desks, break out areas, and presentation spaces
- A plethora of microphones, instruments, cables etc. Please note - we do not keep a public 'kit list' The reason is our gear, or kit, changes very regularly. Be assured however that the kit is amazing :)
- A dedicated mentor pool of music, technology, and business related experts
- For members signing up for a monthly Founding membership, your membership includes:
- Up to 40 hours per month of use of combined soundproofed rooms. However, if a facility is available and you have used more than your 40 hours per paying member, then you may of course use that facility. Please however be respectful of those that have not used up their allocation and give them priority if they ask for it,
- Use of the Startup Studio and hot desks during opening hours (8:30am to midnight weekdays, 20am to 10pm weekend days, closed bank holiday Mondays and the preceding Saturday & Sunday)
- Curated access to our mentor pool. Introductions and interactions to our pool of mentors will be managed a dedicated community manager. They reserve the right to say ‘no’ to certain interactions or introductions if they feel it not appropriate for your needs or stage. Don’t be offended if that happens!
- Free entry to all Member events (unless otherwise stated)
- You may invite guests into the space (i.e. band members, clients, meeting guests) - so long as they are booked in advance with no less than 24 hours notice. However, those guests can only be present while you are present, and once your work with them is complete, they must leave the premises.
- For members signing up for a community or partner membership, your membership must be accompanied by a Founding membership to be valid. This membership type is intended for more engaged team members, band members, artists you represent, that need regular access to The Rattle but do not exceed your allocated Studio or Coworking limits. To be clear, you cannot sign up for a community membership without already being associated to a Founding membership in some form. Community memberships provide you:
- Regular access to the Startup Studio for meetings and mentorship
- Infrequent hot desking (defined as 1 day per week, maximum)
- Free entry to all Member events
- The use of your associated founding membership's studio allocation
- Members are expected to provide their own laptops/computers and digital storage devices for their work (if appropriate). It is also up to members to ensure the integrity of their work as The Rattle is not expected to backup members’ work for them.
- Members are also agreeing that any works they create are entirely original, or they have the full authority and permission from the relevant owner to use/modify/create.
- You accept that we are under obligation to report anything criminal to the local authorities immediately, and without hesitation.
- We have a zero tolerance policy on the possession and/or consumption of illegal substances while on our premises. These premises include the wider area covered by Tobacco Dock.
- It is expected and explicitly stated that you may not enter other areas of Tobacco Dock that do not pertain to The Rattle. Again - please do not wander off outside of The Rattle!
- Food and drink are allowed on the premises, however, you cannot bring food or drink into any of the sound isolation rooms without permission from The Rattle. If you do, and damage any equipment, you will immediately be invoiced for their repair.
- There will be times when alcoholic beverages will be provided. It is your responsibility to ensure you have valid identification on you during these times - just in case there are reasons it needs to be verified. And please conduct yourself responsibly.
Section c. Our Ethos
- The Rattle also encourages what are commonly known as ‘Chatham House Rules’. It is a code of conduct and mutual understanding that all information learned within The Rattle regarding other members, mentors, and community members should be treated as confidential. This includes taking photographs or sharing things on social media while inside The Rattle. Members must feel safe to be open and transparent with one another in order to foster trust and serendipity, without the need of ‘raising their guard’. To be straight forward - don’t broadcast what other members are doing without their express permission.
- Employees of the Rattle are under the obligation to maintain confidentiality regarding its members in all instances. We do not sign NDAs. However, you may assume that all information you share with Rattle team members will be treated with respect and confidence. Please bear in mind however that we extend confidentiality to the Rattle Mentor pool when appropriate.
- There will be opportunities to benefit from services provided by trusted third parties of The Rattle. At no point does The Rattle accept responsibility for the outcome of any use of such services. That may sound strange, but we want to be absolutely clear that individuals are accountable for their own actions - so please be sure you understand fully their respective terms and conditions.
- There will also be times when celebrities and executives will be present. Please be respectful of their privacy and treat them much like any other member of The Rattle.
Section D. Payment & Bits
- Membership packages are paid for monthly and in advance of commencing your membership. All benefits will be withheld if you pay late or fail to pay.
- By signing up for a Rattle Membership and providing your payment information, you agree to pay us the recurring or nonrecurring fees associated with the particular package you are purchasing, as displayed to you at the time you create your account and/or sign up for the relevant Services, or as updated by us from time to time upon notice to you. You acknowledge and agree that the payment method provided by you will be automatically charged the fees and any other amounts you may incur or be liable for (including for damages caused to any of our Premises or property) in connection with the Services. Only a single payment method may be used at any given time to make payments for all Services you purchase in a single transaction. You must keep your payment information up-to-date and accurate. The fees applicable to your account may be subject to modification from time to time, and such modifications will become effective upon your next subscription period. Your continued use of the Services following notice of any such modifications, and through the next payment date, constitutes your agreement to such modified fees. You may at any time cancel your account as set forth below if you do not agree to any modified fees.
- Membership fees are non-refundable. We do not refund for any pro-rata or unused time.
- All members must be 18 years old or above on their first day of membership.
- The Rattle will host many events throughout the term of a membership. Unless otherwise stated, these events will be members only and private - with the code of conduct assumed and expected. You cannot bring guests, unless specifically told you can.
- Founding & community members will be provided with a keycard and access card to The Rattle. There is a £25 deposit for this keycard, payable to Tobacco Dock Venue Ltd, which will be refunded to you on return of your access card. It is your responsibility to ensure its safety and integrity. We reserve the right to track your usage of facilities across each Rattle based upon the activity of your keycards.
Section E. Accountability
- You may be required to present a valid, government-issued photo identification in order to gain access to our Premises. For security purposes, we may regularly record via video certain areas of our Premises. If we deem it reasonably necessary, we may disclose information about you to satisfy applicable law, rule, regulation, legal process or government request, or to protect us, our members, or other individuals, or any of our or their property. It is your obligation to notify any of your guests about this policy.
- You may be held liable (and do hereby authorize us to charge you) for the repair cost for all damage to our Premises and items therein caused by you or your guests, invitees or where permitted, pets .
- There will be times when we update these Terms. Whenever these terms are updated, you will be notified by email.
- If you fail, or if we suspect that you have failed, to comply with any of the provisions of these Terms, or at any other time when we in our reasonable discretion see ﬁt to do so, we may, at our sole discretion, restrict your access to your account and the Services and/or terminate your account with immediate effect and possibly without prior notice to you.
This next section is written in ‘legalease’. Please do read it carefully. In summary however, it essentially says that you are responsible for your own actions, and you confirm that The Rattle has no accountability, liability or responsibility for the outcome of your own decisions and actions - especially if you do something dumb, injure yourself, commit any criminal act, or break the code of conduct expected of you. In legal terms, this is known as a ‘release of claims’
Section F. Limitations of Liability
- To the extent permitted by law, you, on your own behalf and on behalf of your employees, agents, guests and invitees, waive any and all claims and rights against us and our landlords at the Premises and our affiliates, parents, and successors and each of our and their employees, assignees, officers, agents and directors (collectively, the “Rattle Parties”) resulting from injury or damage to, or destruction, theft, or loss of, any property, person or pet (“Claims”) and release the Rattle Parties from any such Claims.
- We are not liable for actions of other individuals. We do not control and are not responsible for the actions of other individuals or pets using the Services or at our Premises. You should be aware that other users or members may not be who they claim to be. We do not perform background checks on our users or members nor do we guarantee that our users’ or members’ profiles are accurate. We do not endorse, support or verify the facts, opinions or recommendations of our users or members.
- To the extent permitted by law, the aggregate monetary liability of any of the Rattle Parties to you or your employees, agents, guests or invitees for any reason and for all causes of action, whether in contract, tort, breach of statutory duty, or other legal or equitable theory will not exceed the total amounts paid by you to us under these Terms for the product or service from which the claim arose in the twelve (12) months prior to the claim arising. None of the Rattle Parties will be liable under any cause of action, for any indirect, special, incidental, consequential, reliance or punitive damages, including loss of profits or business interruption, or for the cost of any substitute goods, services or technology. You acknowledge and agree that you may not commence any action or proceeding against any of the Rattle Parties, whether in contract, tort, breach of statutory duty, or other legal or equitable theory, unless the action, suit, or proceeding is commenced within one (1) year of the cause of action’s accrual.
- The Services are provided “AS IS”. To the extent permitted by law, we disclaim all warranties and terms, express or implied, with respect to the Services, including warranties, terms or representations as to the availability, operation, performance and/or use of our Services, or any other materials on or accessed via the Services, including any warranties or terms of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title, non-infringement and any implied warranties, terms or indemnification arising from course of dealing, course of performance or usage in trade.
- You agree to hold us harmless. You will indemnify and hold harmless the Rattle Parties from and against any and all claims, liabilities, damages and expenses (“Claims”) including reasonable attorneys’ fees, resulting from any breach of these Terms by you or your employees or guests, or your or their invitees or pets or any of your or their actions or omissions, and The Rattle will have sole control over the defense of any such Claims. You are responsible for the actions of and all damages caused by all persons and pets that you or your guests invite to enter any of the Premises. You shall not make any settlement that requires a material act or admission by any of the Rattle Parties, imposes any obligation upon any of the Rattle Parties or does not contain a full and unconditional release of the Rattle Parties, without our written consent. None of the Rattle Parties shall be liable for any settlement made without its prior written consent.
- These Terms and the transactions contemplated hereby shall be governed by and construed under the law of England and Wales, without regard to conflicts of laws provisions thereof.
- twithstanding anything in these Terms to the contrary, these Terms in no way shall be construed as to grant you any title, lease, easement, lien, possession or related rights in our business, Premises or anything contained in our Premises. These Terms create no tenancy interest (including any security of tenure), leasehold estate, or other real property interest. Neither party will in any way misrepresent our relationship.